Click to Home
Go To Search
History of Columbia Heights
A City is Born
The Village of Columbia Heights was formed on March 14, 1898 when it separated from Fridley Township. With 1696 acres, 100 citizens, and 20 houses, paths became roads, traffic patterns emerged, and a city began. The city name was selected by contest. Possible reasons for the selection are:
  • Heights - 47th Avenue Northeast and Stinson Boulevard is the highest point in Hennepin, Ramsey, and Anoka Counties
  • Named after a city it resembled in New York state
  • Proximity to Columbia Park
40th Avenue Looking East - 1921
On July 21, 1921 the Charter of the City of Columbia Heights was adopted and the City was formed. City parks of Prestemon, Gauvitte, and McKenna were all named for members of this first City Council. Ava Ostrander, first woman elected to the Council in 1924 also has a park named for her.

Read more history...

Contact Columbia Heights
590 40th Ave. NE
Columbia Heights, MN 55421
Ph: (763) 706-3600
Fx: (763) 706-3601
info@ci.columbia-heights.mn.us
RSSPrintEmail PageFacebookTwitter