Library Cards


Library Cards
A library card is required to use most of the services provided by the library. Cooperative arrangements with the 
Metropolitan Library Service Agency (MELSA) allow reciprocal use of library cards throughout the metropolitan area, and the Statewide Borrowers Compact allows reciprocal use of library cards throughout the state. 

During the time that the Anoka County Libraries are closed to the public, non-cardholders can sign up on the Anoka County Library website for a library card for access eBooks and audiobooks through the cloudLibrary app. You may also register over the phone for a library card. Please call 763-706-3690 to register.

Columbia Heights & Anoka County residents
  • Children under 17 may register for a library card with a parent or guardian who has valid ID.
  • Residents may register for a library card that can be used to borrow library materials and to use other library services.  Your first library card is free.
  • The replacement fee for a lost library card is $2.00. ID is needed at the time of replacement.

  • Valid Minnesota ID is required. We accept Minnesota driver’s licenses and Minnesota state identification cards. Expired ID are not accepted. 
MELSA residents outside Anoka County
  • Cooperative arrangements with the MELSA allow reciprocal use of library cards throughout the seven county area. The current participants are:
  • Anoka County
  • Carver County
  • City of St. Paul
  • Dakota County
  • Hennepin County
  • Ramsey County
  • Scott County
  • Washington County

  • Information from county to county regarding your library account is not shared. Checkouts, bills, PIN numbers, etc. can be different depending on what library system you visit.
  • If registering for a new card via an application, please allow 60 days for the card to arrive at your address. If the card does not arrive in 60 days, please visit a library in your home system to resolve the issue.
  • If you have a library card from your home system / county, please provide it at the time of registration. If you do not have a library card, an application for a card from your home system will need to be completed. A temporary card, valid for 60 days, will be assigned.
  • Valid ID with a current address is needed to register a library card from outside of Anoka County.
Residents outside MELSA
Registration and Requirements
  • If you live in a county other than Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington in the state of Minnesota, you may still use the Columbia Heights Public Library by registering your home card in the ACL database.
  • A library card from your home system, along with a valid Minnesota ID, is required to create an account with the Columbia Heights Public. Staff cannot take applications for other regional public library systems.